Lead testing

Lead Poisoning is entirely preventable. The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead and identifying those who need early treatment.

Lead-based paint and lead contaminated dust are the most hazardous sources of lead for U.S. children. Lead-based paints were banned for use in housing in 1978. All houses built before 1978 are likely to contain some lead-based paint. However, it is the deterioration of this paint that causes a problem. Deteriorated lead paint can lead to dust which kids can pick up on their bodies and clothes. Dust then gets into the mouth and body.

Children under the age of 6 years old are at risk because they are growing so rapidly and because they tend to put their hands or other objects, which may be contaminated with lead dust, into their mouths.

The Putnam County Health Department tests for lead by administering a fingerstick and analyzing a small sample of blood. This test is a screening and referrals are made for a lab draw if there is an elevated lead level detected. The cost is $30 which can be paid in cash or your health insurance can be billed. Please call 419-523-5608 to schedule a lead test appointment or for more information.

More information on Lead Poisoning can be found on the
Centers for Disease Control website.

Testing for lead in a lab